Dry & chapped hands
Dry and chapped hands, are a common problem. During the winter months and when our hands exposed to harsh environmental conditions this problem becomes more apparent.
Dry and chapped skin on hands is not a dangerous condition, however it can become quite painful and unpleasant when left untreated. Here are description of the symptoms:
- Rough, dry and flaky skin on palms and hands
- Redness, change in color of the skin
- Oozing or bleeding sores ( when cracks open due extreme dryness or movement )
- Itchy, burning sensation and inflamed skin
As we age, our skin generally becomes dryer due to slowing down of skin regeneration process and immune system factors. Exposure to cold, wind and sun also play a role in aging of the delicate skin of the hands. Other conditions which cause of excessively dry hands are:
- Exposure to household chemicals or other chemicals due to occupation ( hairdressers, mechanics, ..)
- Contact dermatitis
- Eczema and psoriasis
- Frequent washing of the hands ( doctors, mothers, cooks…)
Some tips to relieve the condition:
Prevention is better than treatment- if there is known sensitivity to chemicals which can not be avoided during your daily routine, protect your hands by wearing gloves. Use hand cream with sunblock to protect your hands from sun and curing lamps for gel-polish. Avoid washing your hands with harsh hand soaps, use mild and suitable soap for delicate skin of the hands. Apply suitable hand cream after washing your hands.